Hungry Jack® Family Meal Times FAQs
Have a question about any Hungry Jack® products and don’t know who to ask? You may find the answers you’re looking for in our frequently asked questions (FAQs).
Can I use my Hungry Jack® Pancake Mix or Syrup, even though the Best If Used By date printed on the packaging has passed?
We do not recommend using our products past the Best If Used By date printed on their packaging. If a readable date cannot be found on the package then it is old and should be discarded.
How should I store my Hungry Jack Pancake Mix?
Use a twist tie to close the inner plastic bag and store the mix in a cool, dry place. If you prefer, you may also store it in the freezer.
What is the best way to store my leftover batter?
We do not recommend storing any leftover batter. Use up the batter and freeze the made pancakes in a sealed container. Freeze made pancakes for up to one week.
Is it necessary to store Hungry Jack Syrup in the refrigerator after using?
No. But if you prefer to refrigerate syrup, add an additional 30 seconds to the heating time.
My pancakes stick to my frying pan or griddle. How can I prevent this from happening?
First, make sure your griddle is heated to the proper temperature. Prior to heating the griddle, treat it with oil or non-stick cooking spray. Your pancakes may burn if you use butter or margarine to grease your griddle.
My pancakes are thin and flat. How can I make them more full and fluffy?
Make sure not to over-mix your batter. You should still see some small lumps in the batter after mixing the dry and wet ingredients.
Use a little more mix to thicken the batter if needed.
Can I add any additional ingredients to my pancake batter?
You certainly can! We encourage you to add any of the ingredients listed below to your pancake batter:
- Fresh or frozen blueberries, chopped apples, diced peaches, nuts, applesauce, or chocolate chips. Use about 1/4 cup for every 1 cup of pancake mix.
- 1 teaspoon of grated orange peel
- Oatmeal, wheat germ or flaxseed.
Can I substitute buttermilk for milk or water that I would add my Hungry Jack Pancake Mix?
You certainly can add buttermilk instead of milk or water to your pancake mix. However, the batter and resulting pancakes may have a thicker texture.
Can I heat Hungry Jack Sugar Free Syrup?
Yes. All Hungry Jack Syrups can be heated in the microwave regardless of the type of sweetener.
How long should I heat Hungry Jack Syrup?
The heating time will vary, depending on the amount of syrup in the bottle. Heat time should never exceed 4 minutes. Recommended heating times on HIGH in the microwave with the cap open are:
- Full Bottle: 2 to 2 1/4 minutes
- 3/4 Bottle: 1 3/4 to 2 minutes
- 1/2 Bottle: 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 minutes
- 1/4 Bottle: 1 to 1 1/4 minutes
My syrup is not pouring easily from the “no-drip” cap. Why is this?
We recommend heating Hungry Jack Syrup prior to pouring. Warm syrup will flow out of the cap more easily.
Are Hungry Jack® Pancake Mixes or Syrups gluten free?
At this time, Hungry Jack Pancake & Waffle Mixes contain ingredients derived from gluten.
Hungry Jack Syrup does not contain ingredients derived from gluten. However, these products do not meet our established criteria for a "gluten-free" claim for one or more reasons.
It is important to note that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not yet defined the term “gluten-free” or established rules for making a "gluten-free" claim on a food product; however, "gluten-free" claims are permitted, and each manufacturer is responsible for determining whether or not its products are "gluten-free".
We have established the following stringent criteria based on the FDA's proposed, but not finalized, rules for making "gluten-free" claims.
- Ingredient Screening - The ingredient cannot contain gluten sources, such as wheat, rye, barley or their derivatives or hybrids. We also review for the presence of oats.
- Testing - While there currently is not a commercially available test to detect the presence of oats, the product must be tested to verify that it contains less than 20 parts per million of gluten.
- Manufacturing Procedures - In addition, facilities that manufacture verified "gluten-free" products must have a comprehensive gluten management program. All equipment used in the manufacturing of products containing any gluten or oat source must be cleaned thoroughly prior to producing a product that is "gluten-free". These procedures must be validated and inspected after each clean-up.
Note: This information only applies to United States gluten regulation and claims.
Where can I find coupons for Hungry Jack products?
We occasionally run coupon offers in RedPlum® coupon inserts found either in your newspaper or mailbox, on Coupons.com and RedPlum.com, and at your local grocery stores. To be among the first to know about the latest Hungry Jack news and offers, you also can find us on Facebook.
Are Hungry Jack Potato products still owned by The J.M. Smucker Company?
Hungry Jack Potato products are now manufactured and distributed by Basic American Foods under a licensing agreement. Please contact them at 1-800-722-2084 with any product related questions.